Skimming Scanning Detailed Revision
Which words in the notes below mean the following?
1. the place where an event takes place: the venue.
2. being able to stay somewhere, e.g. a hotel: accommodation.
3. the last time or day when something can be done: the deadline.
NOTES ON CONFERENCE
- Title of conference: Tourism and the Environment.
- Conference begins on: 18th November.
- Conference ends on: 20th November.
- Venue: Carnmouth College.
- Accommodation is available in the Cavendish Hotel.
- Cost for non-members without accommodation: £300.
- Deadline for booking: 1st November.
• Read this advertisement for a job that you are interested in applying for.
• Look at the notes “Reading 7 – Exercise 2.” Write the answers in your exercise book to check later.
• Which words in the advertisement and notes below mean the following?
- a job: a position.
- a place: a location.
- time spent doing a similar job: (length of) experience.
- money paid regularly to an employee: a salary.
- to email, phone or write to someone: to contact.
• Complete the notes below, using words from the job advertisement. “Reading 7 – Exercise 2” below.
• Write the answers in your exercise book to check with the suggested answers here.
NOTES ON JOB
- Job title: Press Officer.
- Employer: Business Journals plc (PLC is also acceptable).
- Location: Windsor.
- Minimum length of experience required: 2 years.
- Starting date: 1 September (this can be written in various ways, but it’s simplest to copy from the text).
- Starting salary: £25,500 (This can be written in various ways, but it’s simplest to copy from text).
- Reference number: 1859TM (This can be written with or without spaces, but it’s simplest to copy from the text).
Refund No: 0055 78A
Booking reference: 01/3434/A
Date of departure: 22 June
Flight number: UA 453 (UATAIR)
Departure from: Heathrow
Ticket class: Business
Refund due: £525.00
Method of refund: Cheque
Reason for cancellation: client’s illness (or serious illness)
Name of policy holder: Peter Rodgers
Policy number: LD4756030C
Item(s) to be replaced: carpet
Location of item(s): photocopy room
Value when purchased: £300
Cause of damage: flood
Date of damage: Sunday, 19 May